“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church…” (Ephesians 5:25-29 ESV)
Biblical requirements for husbands and future husbands.
These are the things that a man must be if he is going to be a husband, and the basic characteristics of any man that a woman would consider to be her husband. He is to be a picture of Christ in this sin-sicked and dying world.
Ladies, today, it is simply not enough that the man who tries to court you is a Christian. He must be a man who…
– lead in love – “Love is an act of the will accompanied with emotion that leads to action on behalf of its object.”
– lead in the Word – “If a man cannot disciple and mentor you in Scriptures, he is not ready to be your husband. A man who desires to be a husband should be a man of the Word.”
– lead in righteousness – “Jesus Christ loves the church so much that He may present her in righteousness. A man must demonstrate that he is able to preserve her woman’s righteousness and purity by God’s grace.”
– lead in selflessness – “He must be a man who understands what it means to put others before himself.”
– lead in intimacy – “Intimacy is not something that starts with “s” and ends with “x”. Intimacy happens when I let someone be part of my life that is not readily available to everyone.”
Ladies, do not settle for any man less than this!
Source: Love and Marriage III by Voddie Baucham
One thought on “Love and Marriage”
LikeLiked by 1 person