The LORD is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?
SOME EXCERPTS AND LESSONS FROM TODAY’S MESSAGE
SERMON FOCUS: “THE REALITY OF A TRUE BELIEVER IN CHRIST”
Text: Romans 13:11
“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.”
- THE PRESENT REALITY AND RESPONSE OF THOSE WHO ARE TRULY SAVED
- THE IMPERATIVE GIVEN TO THOSE WHO ARE TRULY SAVED
- THE REALITY AND MOTIVATION OF THOSE WHO ARE TRULY SAVED
– We need to seek and consider His truth. As we are guided by God’s Word.
– For every single aspect of our lives, we need to ask if God will be glorified with these things.
– We are to live in Christ and believe in Christ because He took the punishment of death for sinners like us.
– When you become a Christian, you are released from the bondage of sin and you become a slave of another Master (God)
– Paul pushes the believers for their doctrine to line up with their lives
– Paul stated what we should and what we should not do. “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”
– It is dangerous not to know Christ. But it is more dangerous to know and profess Christ yet not live according to His Word.
– There will be a radical change in life and direction. It’s not merely changing our behaviors but a matter of the heart.
SERMON FOCUS: “OUR ONE MESSAGE – JESUS CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED”
Text: Isaiah 9:6
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
- HE IS MIGHTY DESPITE HIS PEOPLE’S FRAILTY
- HE IS MIGHTY BECAUSE IN HIM IS FULNESS OF DEITY
– The word “Mighty” is usually used to describe a warrior with great wisdom in battle
– The people of God are those that work in darkness, the “Mighty God” is their only
– Some interpretation pf the prophecy states that it refers to Hezekiah, however, Hezekiah is part of that weak people. ref. 2 Kings 19:34-35
– In Isaiah 3:1-2, (‘mighty’ referred weak leaders of Israel) God takes away their mighty men because they trusted in them and not in God.
– ‘Mighty’ when used with God showed and described God’s power. ‘Mighty’ when used with man revealed their “weakness”
– It’s one thing to know that we are weak, It’s another thing to embrace the reality how weak we are.
– How can we make sense of the deity of Christ? “Mighty God” shows the unquestioned deity of the Messiah.
– If we believe that Christ is not God, then we have no hope.
– Christ is an Almighty God because it is the very description of His essence because He is God himself.
“Look at Jesus as the mighty God, He defeats His enemies easily, Let’s hide behind Him.”Kent Hughes
Blessed LORD’s day, dear brethren!
To God alone be the glory!