13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the Lord,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.
SOME EXCERPTS AND LESSONS FROM TODAY’S MESSAGE
SERMON FOCUS: “BASIC DISCIPLINES OF A CHRISTIAN LIFE: ILLUSTRATIONS OF SPIRITUAL GROWTH”
Text: Colossians 2:6-8
“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.”
- CHRIST IS THE VINE AND WE ARE HIS BRANCHES – John 15:1
- CHRIST IS THE HEAD AND WE ARE HIS MEMBERS – Col. 2:18-19
- CHRIST IS THE FOUNDATION AND WE ARE HIS BUILDING -Eph. 2:19-21
- CHRIST IS THE TREASURY AND WE ARE HIS PAUPERS– Phil 4:19
– We have a union and a deep relationship with Christ.
– We are all rooted in Christ as being rooted like a tree.|
– There is not a single moment in our Christian life that is not rooted or built in Christ.
– As we grow in attachment and devotion to Christ, the more we became zealous in sharing the gospel.
– Paul describes the church with Christ as the chief cornerstone
– The doctrine of Christ is the foundation upon which the church was built.
– We are not just built upon but we are also built within this foundation.
– We are actually impoverished beggars.
– Everything we need to be confirmed to the end, we find in the treasury of Christ as spiritual beggars.
The only thing needed is the constant awareness of our weakness to realize the goodness and richness of God’s grace.– Pastor Jeremiah Jangad
SERMON FOCUS: “THE HOUR HAS COME, SALVATION IS NEARER”
Text: Romans 13:11
“Besides this, you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.”
- THE PROBLEM
- THE EXHORTATION
- THE MOTIVATION
– These words were addressed to the “sleeping” saints as implied.
– They are Christians but they are described as sleeping.
– You cannot tell the wise from the foolish as they are asleep.
– Is the gospel message still precious to us now? Does it still reverberate to the same sweetness as when we first understood the gospel?
– With evil comes the danger of temptation and false doctrine.
– A mark of Christian conversion is that we are engaged in a war against all of these.
– Paul tells us that it is high time to wake up and must excel spiritually.
– Paul conveys a strong sense of urgency.
– In the light of the Word of God, the world is growing progressively evil.
– There is that motivation that life is short and we are to prepare to meet our God.
Time is not yours to be spent; it is a glorious talent that men must be accountable for as well as any other talent.Thomas Brooks
Spend your time in nothing which you know must be repented of; in nothing on which you might not pray for the blessing of God; in nothing which you could not review with a quiet conscience on your dying bed; in nothing which you might not safely and properly be found doing if death should surprise you in the act.Richard Baxter
SERMON FOCUS: “OUR ONE MESSAGE – JESUS CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED”
Text: 1 Corinthians 2:1-2
“And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.”
- A DELIBERATE CHOICE
- A FIXED CONTENT
- THE CONCLUDING REQUEST: TO BE INSTRUCTED BY GOD HIMSELF.
– The mission of the church: We are to point the people to the cross and the cross will safely lead them home to God.
– The cross is the provision and remedy of God for our sin.
– Come to the cross and you will find your way home to God.
– Paul had a conscious and deliberate choice to preach Christ simply as it is.
– We do not rely on our refined language, philosophies, and rhetoric – we just have to proclaim the gospel as it is.
– It was not by chance that Paul was resolved to preach the gospel by Christ alone.
– We are not to emulate the model set by the world to present the gospel.
– Paul suffered for the sake of the gospel, yet stayed focused on proclaiming Christ.
– Superior speech is not the key to effective ministry, but only a sacrificed Savior.
A man cannot be a faithful minister, until he preaches Christ for Christs sake — until he gives up striving to attract people to himself, and seeks only to attract them to Christ.Robert Murray McCheyne
The sermon which does not lead to Christ, or of which Jesus Christ is not the top and the bottom—is a sort of sermon that will make the devils in Hell laugh, and the angels of God weep!Charles Spurgeon
The mark of true Gospel preaching is where Christ is everything, and the creature is nothing; where salvation is all of grace, through the work of the Holy Spirit applying to the soul the precious blood of Jesus.
Blessed LORD’s day, dear brethren!
To God alone be the glory!