“Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.”
SOME EXCERPTS AND LESSONS FROM TODAY’S MESSAGE
SERMON FOCUS: “LIVING PEACEABLY WITH ALL”
Text: Romans 12:17-18
“Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.””
- THE OBLIGATION
- THE RESTRICTION
- THE DIRECTION
– As Christians it is our universal obligation to live peaceably with all sorts of men.
– We should be conscious to do good and live in peace with all classes of men
– Live at peace with all men unless they make it quite impossible for you to do so.
– There are times that peace is not possible. The gospel saves, but the gospel also divides. It separates the sheep and the goats
– Paul was not a ‘peace at any price’ person, he dealt strongly with wrongdoings because the gospel is at stake.
– Do not compromise and turn away from the doctrine for the sake of peace
– We can be accommodating to minor (non-doctrinal) things with patience and long-suffering. But we are to assert and declare the truth no matter what
– In all times, we are to respond with meekness even when we are wronged.
– We must be willing to be wronged for the sake of the gospel
SERMON FOCUS: “CHRIST AS OUR MERCIFUL, FAITHFUL HIGH PRIEST”
Text: Hebrews 2:16-18
“For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”
- OUR NEED FOR A GREAT HIGH PRIEST
- THE WORK OF A GREAT HIGH PRIEST
– In the old testament, A high priest is called to offer a sacrifice.
– Christ’s humanity is needed so he can be the high priest. Why?
a. because of the unfathomable distance between God and man. ref. Gen 18:27
b. because of the opposite nature of God and man. God is pure and holy. (ref isaiah 6) Man is evil and sinful. (ref. Genesis 6:5)
c. because of the enmity between God and man
– Christ was made to be the propitiation for our sins
– Reconciliation – is one of the fruit of propitiation with the atoning sacrifice of Christ as procured.
– Redemption of sin would not have been possible without Christ’s humanity.
– God is faithful. There is peace between God and the people who trust in the sacrifice of Christ
– There is no reconciliation if you do not trust in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ (ref. Acts 17:31)
– There is no other way to salvation but thru the Lord Jesus Christ – our “great high priest” who sacrificed His holy blood for sinners.
Blessed LORD’s day, dear brethren!
To God alone be the glory!