One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.Psalm 27:4 ESV
Featured Excerpts and Lessons from SCBC Pulpit
SCBC Sunday School: Exposition of 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith (Ptr. Jeremiah)
Chapter 30.3-4 Of the Lord’s Supper
1 Cor 14:40 – proper and orderly manner in commemorating the LORD supper.
Para. 3 refutes RCC practice that only the bread is distributed to the laity
Para. 4 refutes RCR practice that cup is denied from the laity, worship is directed to the elements.
RCR answer: Both bread and cup contain the body and blood of Christ. The Priestly prayer effects substantial change on the elements. Thus the denial of the cup is justified. The Supper is an actual sacrifice that is propitiatory.
- for RCR Jesus Christ is re-sacrificed, on-going sacrifice – This is contrary to the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ (Heb 10:14, John 19:30).
- for RCR, the sacrifice is not complete. It requires the sacramental aid of the Eucharist.
- Mass – Latin formula for the dismissal of the congregation: Ite, missa est (“Go, it is the sending [dismissal]”)
- Both EO (Eastern Orthodox) and RCR claim that their ritual is a direct apostolic authority, but they differ in their practice of transubstantiation.
- This is a Middle age concept (4 C.E). Their argument of substantial change only to justify the elements physical appearance remaining as they were cannot be found in the Scriptures.
- Transubstantiation is a false doctrine!
New Testament teaching
- Matthew 26:27-29 There is no transubstantiation. The cup remains as it was.
- 1 Cor 11:25-27 – v. 26 explicitly says that the cup and bread remain as they were.
SCBC Morning Message: Expository Series on the Book of Romans (Ptr. Jeremiah)
Verse: Rom 11:16-17
2 Illustrations: The Cake and the Tree & 1 Principle: If part of the foundation is holy then the whole is holy
Wrong views: (Illustrations cannot be pressed too far)
- The Olive tree is the nation of Israel, the ingrafted Gentiles became Jews.
- The wild olive branches were grafted in to nourish the tree
- The Olive tree represent the believing Jews which means that salvation can be lost.
- The Olive Tree represents the people of God (historical) in general (broadest sense). Even the church (visible) is a mixture of sheep and goat.
- Paul is opposing spiritual pride (v.18, 20): Jews’ treatment of the Gentiles, and Gentile’s treatment of the Jews
- The Gentiles were not given privileged because they are holy. Rom 2:14-15
- Paul’s burden is to counter spiritual pride among the Gentiles.
- Gentiles are not better than the Jews.
- Salvation is contrary to natural expectation, which is by works. Master in Divinity in self-righteousness.
Mortify pride! It is still alive! To think that you have overcome it is to be proud of your humility. This pride in our hearts should cause us to say “Come quickly LORD Jesus” because when He comes, sin will be no more.
SCBC Afternoon Message: Expository Series on Psalm 119 (Bro. Lorenzo)
Text: Psalm 119:63
Point: The foundation of Christian fellowship is the fear of God and the law of God.
2 Common grounds of Christian Fellowship
- Fear of the LORD
- Obedience to the LORD
The essence of Christian Fellowship
With these he was a partner in the blessings of the covenant, in the promises of it, in the graces of the Spirit, and in a right and meetness for the same eternal glory and happiness: he went in company with them to the house of God, and joined with them in all acts of religious worship; he conversed privately with them about what God had done for the souls of him and them; he delighted in their company; he sympathized with them in their troubles; and was a companion with them in their tribulation, sorrows, and sufferings, as well as in their joys and comforts.John Gill
OFW Message: Expository Series on the Book of Ephesians (Ptr. Jeremiah)
Text: Ephesians 1:3-5
- The Truths about Election
- God’s Election is based on God’s grace
- God’s Election took place in eternity past
- God’s Election is not based on any human merit
- God’s Election is Irresistible
- God’s Election is founded upon the work of Christ
- The Comfort in Knowing our Election
- God loves us because He is love, and He loves us in Christ.
- None will be lost from among the saints. This is perseverance of the saints!
- We are in the hands of an Omnipotent and powerful God.
You do not need to know if you are an elect or not. You must come to Christ first. Christ won't cast away those who come to Him in repentance and faith.
Blessed Lord’s Day!
SOLI DEO GLORIA!