“If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the LORD honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly; then you shall take delight in the LORD, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”Isaiah 58:13-14 ESV
Featured Hymns: 704 & 550
Featured excerpts and lessons from SCBC Pulpit
SCBC Sunday School: Exposition of 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith (Ptr. jeremiah)
Chapter 29.1: On Baptism
Baptist as a sign of our union with Christ
New Testament pictures of Baptism
- Rom. 6:3-5 – We died, buried, & risen with Christ. This is an encouraging fact to live in holiness.
- Col. 2:12 – Imagery of being buried and risen with Christ through baptism.
- Gal. 3:27 – …baptized into Christ. This inseparable oneness of believers with Christ.
- 1 Pe 3:21 – Noah’s Arc points to the saving reality signified by Baptism. The believers take refuge in Christ, like those who took refuge in the Arc.
We passed safely through the wrath of God because we are in Christ. Baptism is a symbol yet a stunning picture of the believers union with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection.
SCBC Morning Message: Expository Series on the Book of Romans (Ptr. jeremiah)
2 Errors of Hyper-Calvinism
- It denies the sincere and free offer of the gospel.
- It denies duty-faith, that all men are responsible to believe the gospel
Romans 10:11-13: The Broadness and Narrowness of the Gospel
- The Broadness of the gospel – The gospel demolished the wall of partition that Jews built. The gospel must be proclaimed to all without distinction. We are commanded to preach the gospel to all nations.
- The Narrowness of the gospel – The great promises of the gospel are only for those who actually repent and believe in the gospel.
He who refuses to believe in the good news treats God as a liar. Belief in the gospel is our duty because it is God’s word and it is worth believing.SCBC Pulpit
The wonderful truth of the gospel is that it is offered to all and it can only benefit those who believe.
SCBC Afternoon Message: Bro. CJ
Gen 44:16, 45:4-5 – God’s purpose in Joseph’s Testing
- The revelation of their sins – 44:16
- The realization of their real status – 44:16
- The display of Joseph’s compassion to his brothers. 45:1-5
“God exposes the remnants of pride and sin in our lives so that we see ourselves more clearly and repent more deeply.”John Piper
Joseph prefigured Christ. There is an upcoming Messiah whose blood is sufficient to save many. Joseph is just like us. But Christ is perfect so we can trust Him. Without Christ, we cannot defeat sin.
OFW Message: Expository series on the book of galatians (Ptr. jeremiah)
- The Dangers of self-deception – The greatest problem of man is that he loves himself above all else. Pride is a clear indicator of our sinfulness.
- The Need for self-evaluation – The problem with prideful people is that they compare themselves with others. But to compare ourselves with God’s perfection is to see ourselves more corrupt and abominable.
We must examine ourselves for we shall be judged. A man who lives according to the flesh is harsh and condemning. But a man who lives by the Spirit is gentle and forgiving. May the LORD grant us love and mercy as we dwell together as brothers and sisters in the LORD. This is the beauty of being part of the family of God.
Blessed Lord’s Day!
SOLI DEO GLORIA!
3 thoughts on “SCBC Lord’s day #44”
HOpe the conference went well
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person